This week (Week 2) I created a Twitter account for the first time. As I wrote in my first blog entry, I had previously never really understood the point of Twitter - in comparison to Facebook it seemed uninteresting and kinda pointless. However, I found that there are some beneficial aspects, some pros, to Twitter that I didn't know:
- I think it is good for following academics and celebrities who may post interesting links
- It is less complex than Facebook
- it still allows you to communicate with people, and post photos
- it allowed me specifically to follow a good friend of mine who lives in the UK and to see what he has been up to
So after my first experience with Twitter, my opinion of it has slightly changed and is less negative. I did some research into Twitter and found some interesting facts which I hadn't known before:
- it was created in March 2006
- It was initially known as "twttr" (after the website Flickr)
- the first tweet ever posted was by Twitter co-creator Dom Sagolla and it read 'oh this is going to be addictive'
I'm not sure whether I will use my Twitter page that much, but I will probably continue to check it and look at people's tweets, and find more people to follow. I was looking up some statistics on Twitter, and found this video which just shows how popular it has become since 2006 worldwide. Also the fact that the Library of Congress has recently archived more than 170 billion tweets (as of January 2013) shows how important tweets can be, to the extent of preservation.
Below is a youtube clip that shows statistics about Twitter's worldwide use and popularity. Originally I just coped the .html link and pasted it below but I just learnt how to embed a youtube clip into a blog. I learnt that you go to the youtube clip and press 'Share' then click on 'Embed.' Then you copy the embed code and paste it into the blog while on the 'Edit HTML' tab as opposed to the 'Composed' tab. So the embed code is pasted along with the other coding for the blog entry.
No comments:
Post a Comment